He's Bald, Jim.

Once, years and years ago, I worked at an A&W restaurant, in the kitchen.  I was pretty much a kitchen supervisor, and did my job flipping burgers and all that fun stuff.  Naturally, I got bored at work quite often, and I'd mess with my co-workers.  Who, not counting me of course, were generally fairly gullible and trusting.

I played all sorts of fun jokes on my companions.  Told them we had hidden easter eggs in the kitchen, and watched as they searched for eggs that had never been hidden.  Invented silly games similar to shuffleboard and then told them I owned the copyright to the game.  And I'd draw silly little public service announcements on the fridge doors with a grease pencil about why you shouldn't brush your teeth with Preparation H.

My favourite, though, was when I convinced a gullible sixteen year old that our boss, who I'll call "Jim", had a prosthetic leg.

It was a slow day, and I came up with the lie to pass the time.  She was convinced I was lying (I was), but everyone in the kitchen swore it was true.  So, if I go to Hell for this, at least I'll have some accomplices to hang out with.  She even went up front to ask the front staff, and they figured it out immediately and agreed.

"Yes, he does have a prosthetic leg.  But he doesn't like to talk about it."

For a good two months afterward, I'd watch this girl eye Jim's (covered) leg while in the kitchen.  She'd be on line, flipping a burger, and then she'd just look down and watch as Jim walked.  She'd wait for him to limp, or some sort of sign to "give away" the fact that he had a prosthetic.

Naturally, I shut my mouth, and would burst out laughing when she left the room.

The crowning moment, though, was when Jim came into work wearing shorts on his day off.  He hung out for a few minutes chatting, and then went on his way.  The whole time, the girl stared at his leg.  His bare, real leg. 

Was I busted?  Nope.

"Oh, that?  It's artificial skin.  Like we said, Jim is very self-conscious.  He spent almost a year's paycheque to have the prosthesis with hairs planted in.  Those are his hairs in the leg."

"Really?"

"Yeah.  Haven't you noticed?  He's bald."

It took her another week or so before she realized I'm a dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment