Ah, the dating scene...

Ah, the dating scene.  How I hate you.

I was talking to Kittens about this the other night, about how the dating scene totally favours women over men.  She thought (obviously) that this was a perk, and the way it should be.  I disagree, probably because I'm only on the losing end of things.

I can see why a lot of guys pick up women with the intent to take 'em home, sleep with them, and boot 'em out the next morning - because if you were actually trying to find something worthwhile, it would be a process of constant rejection and loss.  And a lot of guys I know don't handle rejection and loss very well. 

I've tried the websites, and with a few exceptions, they don't really work - you write up a very cute (I'd say hilarious) e-mail message, and then you watch the woman read it, and delete it.  Why?  Our interests matched, my message was given care and attention, and I'm not a troll in the looks department or anything.  The reason is, of course, that women get dozens of e-mails a week on the websites... they get to pick what they see as the "Cream of the crop". In any situation like that, you have to make yourself stand out from "the pack" - and a cute e-mail and a decent profile will only get you so far. 

One day, I should post some of my old Plenty of Fish messages.  They're pretty hilarious.  I can kind of understand why I didn't get messaged back by some people... I got a bit carried away with the jokes, for sure.  I once told a woman (who I had never met) about how I thought the "Golden Girls" sounded super dirty, but if it was what I thought it was, I'd pay to watch it (and shower afterwards).

My goal is to start the bar/pub scene.  That'll be fun... it'll give me a chance to use some pick-up lines.  Gems like "excuse me, but does this rag smell like Ether to you?" or "Do you have any german in you?  Want some?"... or, the best pickup line ever.

1 comment: