Bowling

I miss bowling. 

There used to be a bowling alley in Victoria, but it was torn down a few years ago.  Since then, it's been a flat stretch of concrete that attracts skateboarders, and some rubble that serves as a condominium for the homeless. 

I remember one of my last times at that bowling alley.  I was with some friends, and we'd been having a few drinks.  And by "a few drinks", I of course mean "Hey, the floor is moving!".  The game was going well, though not as well as that of the Japanese exchange students next to us... one had been bowling a near perfect game.

Until my turn came up.  The world spun around me.  I grabbed my ball... and surged forward.  Before, you know, stepping up onto the lane.  Meaning, I tripped over the ledge at the edge of the lane, and fell flat on my face. 

I watched as my ball rolled into the perfect player's lane... in front of his own ball.  It rolled forward... slowly... slowly.... on the edge of the gutter.

And knocked over a single pin.

Drunk Dave sheepishly apologized while his friends laughed.  And then kept playing.  Angry japanese exchange student kept ranting in Japanese to his friends.  I can only presume he was swearing.  Or perhaps cursing the bowling alley to somehow be flattened.

No comments:

Post a Comment