Why I shouldn't write in the morning...

There are those who are totally ahead of the technological curve, always buying the latest in toys from futureshop.  You know the people - they were the first on the block to have a DVD player, and right now their phone is also a laptop, an iPod, and a miniature geiger counter.  For, you know, those times when you need to count geigers

Then there are those riding the crest of the technology wave.  People who have a fairly new cell phone, get a new computer every few years, and are pretty up to snuff with all the technological gidgets and gadgets out there. 

There are those who are behind the technological crest.  You can usually tell who they are from the large number of VHS movies they have.  Often, their house has wood pannelling.  And they flee if you make the sign of the beast

...and then there's me.

I am not tech-savvy, whatsoever.  I can usually figure out things if I have instructions, which I will read - twice - before trying to hook things up.  I get confused installing programs on my computer, so I often just say "fuck it!" and install the program, regardless of how it interacts with other programs... meaning I buy a computer every few years, due to the fact that I've completely fucked my computer in that short time.  About the only technology I can comfortably handle are those I've been "trained" in - anything involving guitars, for example.  Or the type of stuff I've learned in my first aid classes (I can hook up oxygen like nobody's bizness!). 

I am not up on the latest tech news.  When the iPhone was announced, I think I said something like "why would you send people music?  They're busy."  And so on, and so forth.

I say all this because I just found out that you can send people text messages using MSN Messenger.  This may be old news to everyone else, but it's a new discovery for me.  And when I used it, last night, to send Kittens a "Happy Birthday" message, I felt like I was riding the crest of the technology wave with the rest of you normals.

It was a proud moment. 

'natch, I'm going to go overboard, send a bazillion text messages to Kitten, and then get her to cancel the service.  Or move on to the next technology.  Something better than text messages... something faster, more efficient, and easier to understand:

I'm guessing it'll be some sort of technology that allows people to transmit their voice over large distances, for nearly instantaneous communication, regardless of distance.  Two way telephone conversation.  They will be called "Phone Calls", and they will supplant the lowly text message.

While I'm not a tech junkie, that is my prediction for what the future holds. 

Amazing, eh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment