A long, silly, unconnected post...

Once again, the newt is training for the newt olympics.  Swimming straight up, and then slowly spiralling down through the tank.  It's very graceful to watch, and I can imagine a row of heroin addicts staring into my tank, completely enthralled. 

Possibly I'm thinking about heroin addicts because of my neighbourhood.  A very skinny wisp of a woman with a face that was covered in open sores lurched by me yesterday, muttering random nothings to herself.  I wanted to tell her that white short-shorts and a winter jacket is not really a good combination of clothing;  I also wanted to tell her that short shorts are never a good wardrobe choice... especially when you're a forty-something drug addict. 

...I'm a bad person, I know.

Anyways.  When fall and winter come around, I've noticed that the homeless population seems to migrate from downtown Victoria to neighbourhoods like mine.  This isn't to say that I live in "Crack Alley", or anything, just that the street person presence picks up as it gets colder.  A few years ago, they used to sleep in our parking lot.  Nowadays, they just pick through my building's recylables container and pick out cans, which they return to the bottle depot down the street. 

I'm probably going to give Kittens nightmares, here, making my home sound like this total shithole.  It isn't, not at all.  I like this neighbourhood - it just has certain... um... quirks

We talked about camping last night, Kittens and I.  She is of the opinion that camping with an air mattress is not "real camping" - I agree with her, even though I'm a very bad offender.  My general opinion is, if I'm going camping with people that are using air mattresses, and I'm not, I'm just suffering needlessly to make a point.  But I love the idea of camping with only a backpack.  It just... never happens.

It occurs to me that this post is:  a) not funny, (thankfully, Kilroy is on a vacation to a Swiss Auction House) b) incredibly random, and c) still not funny.  Yikes.

Ah well.  You win some, you lose some.

P.S.  In hockey news, the San Jose Sharks traded two great defencemen - Brad Lukowich and Christian Ehrhoff, my favourite Shark D-man - for two young, unproven Vancouver Canucks - Centreman Patrick White and D-Man Daniel Rahimi. 

I understand why the Canucks made the trade - they need good defencemen, and it makes sense to trade with the Regular Season's #1 team.  The trade makes less sense for the Sharks, though.  They are a young team already, so getting more young players isn't really that important (unless they're afraid they'll lose a lot of players to free agency at the end of this season...).  I guess they do need a new forward now, since both Mike Grier and Jeremy Roenick have left the team.  But.... I'm wary. 

1 comment:

  1. The sharks are clearing space so they can fit the contract of Dany Heatley under the cap with a subsequent trade.

    ReplyDelete