Whose Line.... sucks.

I was clicking through the channels the other day, wondering if I could find something at all decent to watch.  After all, the news is pretty damned depressing, and there's very little on TSN concerning hockey - and as we all know, baseball sucks. 

I never understood how baseball made it as a sport.  You get a bunch of slightly overweight people who take far too many steroids, and they play a game  that mostly involves everyone standing around waiting for their chance to catch a ball.  Even the crowd get in on this game - they sit around and eat eight dollar hot dogs and hope that a ball gets knocked their way. 

Personally, I think the only time baseball is interesting is when someone gets beemed in the face

But I figure, I've got better things to do with my time besides watching baseball and hoping for one of those golden moments.  So I keep clicking.  And I came across a little gem called Whose Line is it Anyway?  Or at least, I thought it was a gem when I clicked to it.

For those not in the know, the basic gist of the story goes like this:  the show consists of improv actors, who play various improv games suggested by a moderator based on themes given by audience members.  So, the game might be "you can only speak in questions" and the theme could be "Superheroes at a Coffee Shop".  Or something equally stupid.

"Stupid" being the big word, here.  I was watching for only a few seconds before I started wincing in pain.  Imagine Wayne Brady (and not the funny Wayne Brady, either) singing doo-wop about, um, poisoned wine.  It wasn't pretty.  No siree, it definitely was not.   

I sat there, watching this horrid bit of improv theatre, and I shook my head.  You see, I used to like this show.  No, cancel that... I used to love this show. 

I remember, in the ninth or tenth grade, heading home pretty quickly after school ended so I could catch an episode of Whose Line.  It was a ritual that I sadly followed for more than a year, since Saturday Night Live had turned to garbage a few years earlier.  I would come home, grab some sort of snack from the fridge, and plop my ass in front of the TV and giggle like some sort of lobotomy patient.

Flash Forward a year or two.  Because this story gets worse.

Every year, our high school did a play, which is fairly standard stuff.  I was one of the few students who would regularly get involved in the play but wasn't involved in the drama program - I can't remember why.  I mostly got smaller roles, which I was happy with, because small roles are easier to mess with, add lines to, and generally make funny.  And I was all about getting the laughs - both then, and now. 

So, every year, it'd be the same kids in these plays.  And almost all of them were in the drama program - making poor Dave feel left out.  However, our school also got "Tutorial" times - an hour long slot every day where students could go to any class in the school and catch up on schoolwork.  And the drama class had these Improv days set up, similar to Whose Line.  So, every day, we'd all get together, and play our own version of Whose Line.

At the time, it was pretty fun.  But after watching this show on TV today, I started thinking back on that time.  And, my god.  Dear God in heaven. 

It couldn't have been pretty.

The show is a crock.  It is embarrassing to watch, boring, and about as funny as watching an appendectomy on the medical channel.  And these were people who were trained professionals.

My only real memory of being in Improv was during "Prop Comedy".  Where I took a phone, put the receiver on my head like Devil Horns, and kept saying "Call me Belial". 

Over and over again.

"Call me Belial".

"Uh...."

"Call me Belial".

"Um...."

"Hi.  Call me Belial".

"Uh.... Belial?"

"Call me..."

And so on.  And so forth.  It was a train wreck.

So, I'm watching Whose Line is it Anyway?, and shuddering as I walk down Memory Lane.  Eventually, I change the channel.  Baseball's on.   And the pitcher's not wearing a helmet.

...bingo.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you. I used to find the show slightly hilarious. Today, a friend on facebook posted a clip from the show saying that he loved it, and I was embarrassed at myself for ever finding this show slightly hilarious. I hope I never recommended it. That would be a sin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, unless you and Mr./Ms. August 17, 2012 (and the wrist-slitter who wrote this outrageously inane article) can do better than Ryan, Collin, Wayne, and company at coming up with material at the top of your heads with naught but prompts from a live audience and cue cards you'd never seen before, your condescension is as hollow and as shallow as your black little soul. You've given no reason as to why you yourself find the show unfunny other than the vague little "description" you've given of the snippet of the show your "friend" apparently put on his Facebook. Honestly, get over yourself and do something more productive with your time than soiling the Internet with your disdain for actual HUMOR.

      Oh, and stop being so repetitive with the term "slightly hilarious." It really shows that you put no effort into what you dared to type and gives us reason for not finding any merit in what you're saying.

      Delete
    2. Vague, vague, vague...not to mention repetitive, trite, and completely without effort to formulate ANY sense of a respectable, unpretentious argument.

      Of course, I'm talking about Mr./Ms. August 27, 2011 here.

      Delete
  2. I started growing to hate this show over time as well, and I couldn't figure out why, untill i started watching a whole bunch of 'whose line' clips on youtube. If you watch a bunch of the same type of scenario from a bunch of different shows, you can basically find that the actors are just using a template and using the key words to fill in that template. A good example is the one where ryan is trying to guess what is on the t.v behind him that he can't see. Watch a bunch of those clips and you can see he pretty much says the exact same things in each episode. Improv my ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, how cute! Mr. "Crazy Newt" is posting as not one, but TWO "anonymous" guests to his own blog in order to feed the illusion that people actually care about his random hatred for a show that had gone off the air TWO YEARS prior to when he'd posted this poorly written "gem" of an article.

      Get over yourself, schmuck! You're still just a random nobody on the Internet whom few people actually care about and even fewer people even tolerate.

      Delete
    2. Um, excuse me, but the improv from that game comes from the two "anchors" trying to come up with accurate and clever clues to give to the "field reporter" so that he/she correctly guesses the scene playing behind him on the GREEN SCREEN, which he/she cannot see, even if he/she were to look behind him.

      Also, if you're such a talented improviser yourself or even have a REMOTE idea of what improv is, prove it to us and show us that WLIIA is truly the load of crock you claim it to be. Otherwise, take a hike with Mr./Ms. August 27, 2011, and don't ever bother coming back.

      Delete
  3. Okay while the show at times is repetitive, its nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. And by the way baseball is awesome, you came home and sat on your ass every day because you weren't good at sports, or you didn't have any social life at all. NOW GET A LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! Geez, three comments on this blog from visitors, and only ONE has any semblance of sensibility while the other two apparently come from stuck-up, uptight Negative Nancies who apparently live to nitpick and be downers on even the best of things. Thank you, whoever you are, for having the guts to play "Devil's Advocate" against the perpetual whiner who wrote this blog.

      Oh, and BTW, "Crazy Newt," two things:

      1. Before you start calling me a mark for this show, I will admit that, yes, while it was funny at times, the one problem with it--the American adaptation of it, leastways--was that it got stale rather quick with its overreliance on Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, and (eventually) Wayne Brady and its reluctance to make the most out of its alternating fourth-seaters (more like "second seaters," but whatever), save for such semi-regulars as Greg Proops, Brad Sherwood, Chip Esten, Denny Siegel, and Kathy Greenwood. Thankfully, Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza took care of that to a degree, although sadly, too many people tend to crap all over it for being more of a straight-up improv show rather than a quasi-game show like Whose Line.

      2. You really shouldn't begin sentences with conjunctions ("and," "but," or "or"). It's incorrect grammar.

      Delete
    2. You have to understand that Mr. "Crazy Newt" here only enjoys lowbrow humor, as he's mentioned in this very whine-ridden article--you know, where people get maimed or otherwise hurt in ways that people who are detached from the situation are supposed to find "humorous." America's Funniest Home Videos had WAY TOO MUCH of that kind of humor when it was on the air, IMO, what with all the guys getting nailed in the crotch, all the people flying off their motorcycles or other vehicles headlong into ditches, et cetera. Clever wordplay, on the other hand? Nah...that can't be funny at all, right? Even when it's done to death, as Mr. "Crazy Newt" claims it was in this joke of a blog entry?

      Whatever...to each his/her own, I suppose. Personally, if the author of this article finds it hilarious when people he doesn't even know either get themselves hurt, even out of their own sheer stupidity, then fine; let the little sadist laugh. Just remember one thing, CN: If someone makes a video of yourself getting hurt in a similar fashion, posts it on the 'Net, and makes other people laugh at your suffering, don't come whining to us.

      Delete
  4. Aisha is terrible on this show. Her screaming is annoying and her demeanor while hosting is far to serious. She takes too long explaining the story of each game, she treats the viewer as an idiot who has never seen the show with her slow, shriek yelling at the camera. She doesn't add anything to the skits, she is quick with a rebuttal but her impromptu material is not funny or completely ruins the joke ie. "Wayne that was an emery board and not a stick with pee on it" Thanks....but that was hinted at already which made it funny. I hope they remove her quickly from such a great show that only stopped being shown in 2007, otherwise it'll tank.

    Also, Aisha if you're gonna insist on being the new terrible host of the show at least show more than one "game/skit" per commercial break interlude. Drew had the guys performing 3/4 games in btwn each break. As well, when he called up who was to perform he announced their names and didn't refer to them as performers a dozen times.

    Furthermore, Drew was actually great at being in the skits....a talent I've yet see Aisha attempt.

    A Facebook petition is being setup to have this comic disaster replaced for all those of our generation who appreciated the real genesis of Ryan, Collin, Chip, Brad, Greg and Drew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about Wayne?

      Delete
    2. Um, you DO know that Aisha's only the HOST of the show, right? You know, the FACE? If you're complaining about the show's "one game before commercial break" format, take that up with the PRODUCERS. They're the true brains and backbone of the whole operation, and as such, THEY'RE the ones responsible for piecing this show together, not Aisha.

      I do agree with you, though, about how irritating she can be. Not only that, but in my opinion, leastways, the humor has only gotten raunchier than it had ever been back in the day, and the "special guest" bit needs to go, period. Let the performers carry the show on their own merits, thank you. Also, I know it's only been a week into Season U.S. 10, but we really haven't seen any new games introduced yet, and that bugs me quite a bit. I'm not saying we NEED the hoedown to come back, but if you're only going to play the same dozen or so games over and over every episode or two, then sorry, but I'm leaving.

      Delete
  5. yea, Aisha sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have watched WLIIA for years. It was better during the Drew years but it is still better and funnier than SNL or any sitcom currently on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have watched WLIIA for years. It was better during the Drew years but it is still better and funnier than SNL or any sitcom currently on the air.

    ReplyDelete