A Day of Silence, Full Contact Yoga, and another Newt Observation

So, Kittens is in Salmon Arm right now, seeing some sort of three-day music festival. Meaning, I have no contact with her whatsoever right now. Couple that with the fact that I'm currently jobless (blegh) and without plans this weekend, and I've found that I spent an entire day without saying a single goddamned word.

Instead, I spent my morning cleaning the apartment, before heading down to pick up some food. And then I got home, watched a few DVDs, read a book, and all that usual shit. It wasn't until watching the last few scenes of High Fidelity (it'd been on my mind, lately), when I said "I love this scene", that I realized they were my first words of the day.

In other words, today, I accidentally lived the life of a friggin' monk. Kill me if I ever get to the celibacy stage; I've already tackled the "Shave my head" step, after all.

It all reminds me of the time I lost my voice last year. I had some sort of illness or another, and I lost the ability to speak for almost a week. At the time, I was annoyed at being unable to communicate with friends, and became something of a recluse. Even moreso than usual, I mean. But I also secretly enjoyed it, being able to witness life through someone else's eyes - all my anthropology classes were kicking in, telling me to experience life through the eyes of "The other".

Today was almost like that, except I was being something of a fraud - I could speak, after all. I just somehow chose not to. I started thinking - while I enjoyed the time I was unable to speak, I don't want to live a life of silence.

So, I've come to a solution. I'm going to go down to Wal-Mart tomorrow, and buy a volleyball. I will then paint a face on this volleyball, and we will watch movies together. I will buy this volleyball lunch - what do volleyballs eat? - and we will have long, interesting conversations. I will talk about my views on great albums and movies; my volleyball will talk about a life of persecution, and trying to avoid getting spiked.

Either that, or I'll join a club of some sort. I'm thinking "Full Contact Yoga" - we do our best to maintain a perfect lotus position... all the while bouncing around in the back of a buddy's truck trying to knock a football around a field with long sticks. I think, if we try hard enough, we can get the whole thing televised. I mean, if they can televise darts, anything's possible, right?

Or maybe I should just endure the weekend of quiet, and wait for Kittens to get back? That is probably the most sensible solution. But I've never been accused of being sensible.

In other news, Winona is currently busy building a fort. She's used a piece of wood I bought on sale at Pet Cetera's closing out sale, and taken all the fake plastic plants nearby and pushed them over, to form a sort of canopy. Occasionally, she'll peek out through a cleft in the wood, surveying the only entrance to her aquatic abode, before once again sinking back into her demesne.

My fish are giving her a wide berth. One of my new tetras is missing a fin. Apparently, Winona Ryder, much like Reality, bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment