Beware the evil "i"....

iPods are bad news.

When I was a kid, I used to crank up the volume on my zellers stereo and listen to old albums that would get my blood pumping. Albums like Queen's The Game, The Offspring's Smash, or Junkhouse's Fuzz. I'm not really a fan of the last two, but back in the day, those were my go-to albums for insane caterwauling in the privacy of my bedroom.

This was around when I was thirteen or so. And I'd move to the music. Not dancing, or anything like that. But I'd pace, jump at the great parts of the song, play air guitar... all that stupid shit. As the album carried on, the music got louder and louder. Until my dad, in the computer room next door, would get fed up, slam on my door, and tell me to "turn that shit down!"

The thing is, when you're blaring your tunes out, you eventually become aware that other people can hear them, too. Which helps remind you that, well, you're not as alone as you'd think.

Flash forward thirteen years. I've given up on stereos, because I live in an apartment building, and I don't really want to torture the people below me any more than I already do (I'm a night owl/early riser with creaky floors and heavy feet). But I still love music. But, I've never been one of those people who can just put on an album and do something else.

I like listening to the album. Focusing on it. But I also have a problem sitting still.

I got an iPod a few years back, and it works wonders. I put on the album, and I go for a walk. I run. Or whatever else. I get to focus on the album, and I get to move. All good things.

As of late, though, I've found I have an empty apartment once more. And often, I come back to my apartment with half the album unplayed. And I seem to flash back to those times when I was thirteen.

It's two in the morning, and I'll crank up my iPod, and start thrashing about. But, you see, there's a bonus - while it's perfectly loud enough for me (and a helluva lot clearer than one of those K-Mart stereos I was stuck with growing up), nobody else can hear my music.

What this means, is there is a lot more time for frenzied dancing. Or air guitar. Or lip synching. Generally, anything that involves me making an ass of myself in the privacy of my own home. As time has gone by, I've slowly forgotten that lesson enforced by the stereo - you're never as alone as you think.

When I got home from a quick run tonight, I was still totally "in the zone", listening to some damn fine tunes. So, I'm frenetically pacing my apartment, getting rid of my hoodie and losing the pants.

Basically, it occurs to me that I'm doing a strip tease, though that wasn't my original intention. After all, I'm taking off clothes... and music is playing, right? So, let's play around. I go over the top, totally being a ham, because, hey, no one else can see, right?

...you see where this is going.

Long story short, if you're gonna do a strip tease in the privacy of your own home, make sure that:

  1. You don't live in an apartment with your main window overlooking a busy street.
  2. If you do live in said apartment, that you at least turn off your lights or close your blinds.
  3. If you cannot follow #2, at least make sure it's not around 2 am when you do this, because even random passers-by will notice the ginger idiot prancing around the apartment when it is the only window lit against a black backdrop.

Or, failing all that, if you're gonna do some frenzied dance while listening to an iPod... don't dance like me. I dance like some sort of retard iPod commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment