The Moon

I just got back from a long walk. I was kind of feeling down, having made a few mistakes as of late that I'd love to be able to take back. Naturally, I found myself walking down the waterfront. It was an overcast night, with gray clouds overhead that were so thick that they formed a ceiling.

And then I saw a flicker of light, a swirling circle in the sky. At first, I thought it was ball lightning, and I stared up in awe. It was the moon, flickering through the thin clouds, and it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. For only a second or two at a time, a spear of brilliant white light would stab through that blanket of night.

I stood, transfixed, staring up ahead, feeling less alone and less confused than I had in a long time. And I wanted to come home and write about it.

And then I stopped. Because I write a humour blog, and there was no way I could write about a beautiful moon cutting through dark clouds. I have a reputation to maintain, after all. I thought about this for a few minutes, staring up at that moon trying to break through, and I shook my head and said "fuck it."

I'm going to write about the moon.

And I'm going to write about the other crap that's been going on lately. I'm going to write about what I've been thinking about lately, and worry less about trying to make it all funny and whatnot. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to be a bit more honest than I usually am on this blog. I've already written a few of the posts, and I imagine this sort of introspective phase is going to last until around the end of May.

Many, if not most, of them are the usual stuff you're used to. But some others will be a bit more thoughtful, and less worried about a punchline or funny observation. Just posts about the stuff I've been thinking about lately. Because anything else would be dishonest, right?

You've been warned.

It might make a few of you worried - don't be, because the storm has already passed over and you're just not used to me being introspective. And it might make some of you a bit uncomfortable, to see a guy who usually writes poo jokes and hipsteresque comments to be writing about slightly heavier subjects - and to those people, all I can say is, deal with it.

Because sometimes, a guy just wants to write about the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment