Film Friday: Fun Fact: I said "John Cusack" ten times in this post... eleven, if you count the title.

My haiku this week is based off a real event. I was lying in bed a few nights ago, and realized - I am John Cusack from High Fidelity. Now, I've often noticed that I share similarities with that most excellent of characters, but lying in bed at 1 am on a weekday is a bad time to discover that the character that most resembles you in cinema is not Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, John McClane, or The Man With No Name.

1 am is a bad time to learn that the character you most resemble is a neurotic man who knows far too much information on the trivialities of life and yet has a very hard time getting the big picture. It's really one of those depressing discoveries, like finding out there is no tooth fairy, or that Phil Collins didn't actually write "In the Air Tonight" about a murder he witnessed when he was a little kid... and do you see what I mean about knowing too much about trivial things!?
Now, if you haven't seen High Fidelity, you're probably a little lost here. Allow me to sum up the general gist of the movie in this little paragraph:
John Cusack owns a record store and hangs out with music snobs who talk about pop culture all day. He obsesses about his past girlfriends, and is unable to commit to the future because of what has happened to him in the past. He makes little lists about, well, everything - top five track ones side ones, top five songs about death, and so on and so forth. He is sarcastic, snarky, and probably a little self-involved, too. The movie ends with John Cusack learning that Bruce Willis was a ghost all along, and then they both walk off into the sunset and find out it was Earth All Along.
Anyways, this little revelation was cool at first. "Hey, I'm like John Cusack... I make those top five lists... I know a lot about music... I'm pretty sarcastic..." and then of course, I started making the other connections, and realized that, while High Fidelity is one of my favourite movies, these connections are not good things. In fact, they are the opposite of good things.
They are, indeed, very bad things.
So, new goal in life. I want to be John Cusack in Say Anything, not John Cusack in High Fidelity. I want to be the cool John Cusack in The Ice Harvest... not the neurotic John Cusack in High Fidelity. Hell, I wouldn't even mind being John Cusack in America's Sweethearts, or Serendipity... anything but John Cusack in High Fidelity.

Wouldn't mind having that record collection, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment