The Haul

Yeah, Christmas isn't about stuff.  I know it, you know it, so let's not dwell on that.  If you really want to read a post about how Christmas is overly commercialized, I'm sure there's a teenage girl's blog that will cater to your interests.  Those emo girls are never happy, man.

But one of those questions that always seems to pop up is "what did you get?".  And this is because it's one of those questions that we can safely ask, and actually understand the reply.  After all, everyone's Christmas is terribly personal - we, for example, do all the gift-giving on Christmas Eve, have a big dinner on Xmas eve, and then play board games and watch movies all through Christmas day. 

But "what did you get?" is one of those things we can all compare and make conversations about.  And I have to say, I got some really cool, thoughtful presents this year.  Definitely an awesome year.  So without further ado, my list of awesome presents:
  • Some Cheese from my mother.  It's a jalapeno havarti cheese, and she got me a massive block of the stuff.  I used a lot of it to make omelettes on Christmas day, because there's no way I can eat all of it myself.  You could say it was very gouda.  But then, do I havarti be making such awful puns?  Obviously, I mozza, probably because they're a bries to make.  You don't have to be a whiz to do it, after all.  I could probably make them till I went blue in the face... 
  • Diet Coke, in crazy little glass bottles.  I drank all six within about three hours.  And then felt sick.  But it was so worth it.  My mom knows me so well.
  • All the stuff to make Ginger Snaps, from my friend Manga.  We made some a few weeks ago, and it was a lot of fun, so she gave me all the spices and stuff to make them myself.  She also got me some chocolate covered espresso beans and a really cool star for my tree.  I walked home from her place at around midnight a few nights ago carrying the star in one frozen hand while cars slowed down and looked at me quizically.  Awesome stuff.
  • Surround Sound Speakers.  Well, sort of.  See, we all chipped in to buy my dad a set of new surround sound speakers and a receiver... and so they gave me their old speakers. I've heard them before - they sound awesome.  And right now, they're doing a great job of casting ominous shadows on my wall, like some sort of modern sundial. 
  • Shure Headphones.  This was my gift to myself, because I only have my employee discount at Future Shop for a few more days, and wanted to get something suitably awesome.  Two hundred dollar headphones for seventy bucks is pretty awesome, if you ask me.  Let it be official - I am a dork. 
  • Shark Cap and Shirt.  A San Jose Sharks Toque and a Sharks shirt.  I now have nine items that have a sharks logo on them.  I'm not sure if that's cool or sad.  Actually, no, I'm 100% sure it's awesome. 
  • Cooking Stuff.  And not just "cooking stuff", but independently-made cooking stuff!  Such as hot sauce, barbecue sauce, and meat rubs from this guy.  I've had his stuff before (purchased at the government street market with Kittens, actually), and it's amazing. 
  • ...And there was also this great indie pesto sauce and tapenade.  Organic and vegan friendly, if it matters.  My mom loves it when I cook... although she is the only person I know who hates pesto.  I sometimes wonder if I'm adopted.
  • My mom's friend even gave me stuff!  She got me some packets of tea, a great triangle version of dominoes, and work socks.  Socks, by the way, are a great gift for me, and something of a tradition in our family (see next entry).
  • Wool socks, from my dad.  See, he gets me these every year for Christmas.  And every year, this is awesome, because they are the most comfortable socks in the world.  My feet are in foot heaven right now. 
  • A pomegranate.  From my mom.  Weird.  But awesome.  She also got me craisins, because they are the best diabetic-friendly snack food out there.  They're like candy, man.  Only, you know, not. 
  • Gift cards from my brother's girlfriend (for itunes), money from my aunt, and a gift card from that yogurt place right next to my work from my mom. 
  • Assholes Finish First, by Tucker Max, given me by my sister and her fiance.  I love reading Tucker Max, and I actually started this blog a few weeks after I first read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.  For a while, I sort of sounded like him in these revered pages... but then I realized I'm not even close to being as much of a dick as Mr. Max.  I'm pretty sure he's a douchebag I would hate to actually meet.. but I really love reading his stuff.  I was up till 2 am last night reading it, giggling inanely.
  • A Wireless Router from my brother.  He's even going to help me set it up!  This is great, because it means that it'll be easier for me to play my Xbox while also playing around on the internet. He's even going to help me fix my crappy-ass computer so that it, you know, doesn't suck balls
  • And last but not least... The White Album.  On vinyl.  From my loving mother and her friend, who actually owned two copies of the original pressing of the album.  In short, I have a near-mint copy of the Beatles' White Album now, from 1967 or so.  I am, in fact, listening to it right now.  You have no idea how friggin' incredible I find this. 
And now, time for a photo-montage.  You can see my awesome sharks cap + star, and even might be able to see some of Kittens' presents under there that really need to be sent out sometime soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment