Music Mondays - I can't tolerate this

I was listening to the Manic Street Preachers the other day.  Particularly, I was listening to the song "If You Tolerate This, Your Children Will Be Next".  Now, I love how this song has been put together and arranged.  And the chorus, which consists entirely of the lines "and if you tolerate this, then your children will be next" is hauntingly amazing.

Unfortunately, the verses have no relation to the rest of the song, for the most part.  I mean, sad lines about an individual's life don't really mesh well with such a powerful chorus.  Except for the part "and on the street tonight an old man plays/with newpaper cuttings of his glory days", the rest of the song has no major tie to the chorus at all.  How lame is that?

In the end, it's just another song to be added to the list of tunes that just don't live up to their full potential.  Just off the top of my head, other songs that are unfortunately added to that list:
  1. Barenaked Ladies, "Call and Answer" (Reason:  takes too long to get to the end.  Needs to cut out a whole verse for the sake of brevity)
  2. Om, "At Giza" (Reason:  it's a super long, droning song that very slowly builds to a payoff, but while the payoff is powerful, it's not powerful enough to justify the buildup)
  3. Queen, "Who Wants to Live Forever" (Reason:  all those lame orchestral flourishes after the body of the song... the only song where the outro should ever be longer than the rest of the song is "hey jude", and that's a FACT).
  4. The Beatles, "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" (Reason:  there's a lot of noise and emotion in the song, but it gets repetitive.  I really think it needs an incomplete guitar solo in there... even just a droning single note or something, near the end - not like an increasing amount of feedback or anything... but it needs one more instrument in the last minute)
And the list goes on.  And on. 

It's a shame these guys never consulted me.  I mean, with my help, their songs would have been perfect.  Ah, well.  Their loss, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment