Albums to Look Forward To:

There are a few albums coming out in the next few months that I'm pretty excited for.  These are albums that I just can't wait to hear, because these bands have yet to disappoint me. 

The Dodos, No Color:  The fourth studio album by the Dodos releases on March 15th.  The album supposedly will feature a return to the heavier drum sound that was prevalent on Visiter, and roughly half the songs will feature the amazingly talented lady (and honourary Canadian), Neko Case.  The band has released their first single, "Black Night", and it's classic Dodos fare.  Life is good, my friends.  Life is good.

Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues:  The fleet foxes, a Seattle based band I'd tag as "diverse new-age folk hippy music", releases their new album on May 3rd.  I've heard the title track, and it's thie great acoustic bit that definitely is low-key and just a little sad. 

Hey Rosetta!, Seeds:  Canadian Maritime band Hey Rosetta! releases their new album on February 15th.  I've seen these guys live a few times, and I've never been disappointed - they are a large band, with a wide range of available sounds.  They can do introspective blues, angry rock, and cheerful pop... sometimes all at once.  I don't really know anything about this upcoming album, but that's not stopping me from being excited about it!

Mother Mother, Eureka:  I love Mother Mother.  I love them so very much.  They've released their first single for this album, called "The Stand", and it's bizarre in that lovingly original Mother Mother fashion.  I have to admit, I'm a bit grumpy that I have to wait until March 15th before I can listen to the rest of the album. 

We Are The City, High School:  a Kelowna-based band, We Are The City consists of a guitarist, a pianist/vocalist, and a drummer.  While they have a threadbare lineup, their sound is surprisingly layered and complex.  While I'm not a huge fan of the lead vocalist, I do find myself in love with the furious piano lines and frenetic guitar.  The album releases on March 22nd. 

Other Releases of Note:  While it's unconfirmed, there are talks that we'll see 2011 releases from Queens of the Stone Age, Tool (!), and Radiohead (though it'll probably be an EP).

2 comments:

  1. You forgot the new Dan Mangan and Mumford and Sons! Also - I received a shady pre-release copy of Eureka and it is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't forget Dan Mangan - I just can't find any info on his upcoming album. I know he's done a whole bunch of recording in Vancouver, but there is no release information that I can find with a basic search online.

    As for Mumford and Sons... I'm not really a huge fan. I have respect for 'em, but they're not really my cup o' tea.

    And can't WAIT for Eureka... it's coming out the same day as "no color", so I imgine I'll spend the whole locked up in my apartment in musical bliss.

    ReplyDelete