Another dating story:

Yesterday, I mentioned the crazy horse lady. This reminded me of another story that happened at the same museum, a few years earlier.

It was another first date, with a different girl. The exhibit was about ancient Egypt, and this girl and I were really hitting it off, looking over various artefacts and attentively absorbing every minute detail.

Seriously, at one point, I was decoding hieroglyphics. Which was a skill I had at one point. People nearby were asking me questions about them. And I knew the answers. And the girl I was with? She thought this was cool.

I know, right?

It was a very good date. One of the best dates I have ever been on, before or since.

The crowning moment, though, was near the end of the exhibit. There was this giant stone block with drilled holes running through the bottom half. These tubes were for wooden staves, so that people (slaves) could carry the stone block. I knew this, but maybe the average person, seeing the block without those wooden poles, might understandably not realize this.

An old woman, who had seen me speak about the hieroglyphics and must have assumed I worked for the museum, asked me what these holes were for. And I told her.

"Those? Oh. They're actually ancient Glory Holes."

"What?"

"Yeah. In fact, I think they're the first known appearance of a glory hole. You can see how primitive they were, originally."

My date laughed. Which was pretty awesome. The old woman, however, had no idea what the hell a 'glory hole' was, and there was no way in hell I was telling her. I have this private fantasy, though, that she got home and either googled it, or (better yet, in my cruel imagination) asked her grandson.

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment